Wednesday 1 November 2006

College Football Picks: Week 10

Since there's a pretty big game tomorrow night (as in, the biggest game so far of the season), and because I have to start some College Basketball previews soon, my football picks are a day early here.

(12) Arkansas @ South Carolina
I picked the Gamecocks to upset Tennesse last week, but they came up just short. Fool me once, shame on you. This week, South Carolina has a chance to beat a ranked team in the 12th ranked Razorbacks. The same Razorbacks whose only loss came that opening night against USC. Things have changed since then. Darren McFadden and Felix Jones have formed a lethal backfield combo, Mitch Mustain is getting comfortable, and the defense has been very good. I think Arkansas is too good, and too talented at RB to fall to South Carolina. ARKANSAS 21-13.

(16) Boston College @ (22) Wake Forest
Don't look now, but both of these teams are 7-1. Um yeah, the ACC isn't that good this year I don't think. Not to trivialize what these teams have done, because there have been some nice victories. Boston College has notched wins over Clemson, Virginia Tech, and FSU so far this year while Wake Forest has, well, Wake Forest hasn't really beaten anybody yet. I'll believe it when I see it. BOSTON COLLEGE 27-20.

(18) Oklahoma @ (21) Texas A&M
Tough game here. I picked against the Sooners last week, and they beat Missouri relatively easily. The Aggies are 8-1, but they end their season with games against Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas. They're tough at home, but I'm not picking against Bob Stoops and that Sooner defense two straight weeks. OKLAHOMA 19-16.

(13) LSU @ (8) Tennessee
I know Tennessee has a good record and they've beaten some good opponents, but I'm still having a hard time trusting them. They needed 4th quarter comebacks to beat Alabama and South Carolina in the past couple weeks, and other close calls throughout the year. But I think the luck runs out this week. LSU is very talented, very good defensively, and the offense has played better. Maybe I'll finally be able to believe in the Vols if they win this game, but I'm going with LSU. LSU 17-16.

(3) West Virginia @ (5) Louisville
The game of the year so far, at least as far as its importance. With both teams undefeated, the winner could be looking at controlling their own destiny to make it to the BCS Title Game. When I first prognosticated on this game, I picked Louisville. But now Michael Bush is hurt. They've done a solid job replacing him as best they can, but he just added a whole different dimension to the offense... when they were by the goal-line it was just a given they were going to score a TD. They don't have that now. Meanwhile, the Mountaineers just continue to roll along. Pat White hasn't been great throwing the ball, but with the 1-2 running combo of White and Steve Slaton, he won't have to be. WEST VIRGINIA 34-31.

Last Week: 3-2
Season: 31-14